This old fashioned chicken and rice is creamy and flavorful with lots of fresh vegetables and herbs. It comes together in under 30 minutes and is a one pot meal! Perfect for busy weeknights for the whole family.
My little sister has always been obsessed with creamy chicken dishes. Her favorite comfort food is leftover chicken with white rice & cream of chicken soup, which inspired me to make this recipe!
Sometimes after a long day I want an easy dinner but one that really hits the spot! This old fashioned chicken and rice recipe is just that! It is a family favorite in my house. Creamy chicken with fluffy rice and a little bit of vegetables... what is not to love? Next time you're looking for a great meal for the entire family that will be oh so comforting, try this old school chicken recipe!
- Chicken thighs: You will need 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe.
- Butter: For sautéing the vegetables, you will need 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter. My favorite butter is Kerrygold.
- Onion: This chicken recipe calls for 1 large white onion that is finely diced.
- Celery: 2 finely diced celery stalks add a freshness to the dish.
- Carrots: 2 finely diced carrots add a bit of sweetness to the recipe.
- Peas: You will need only ½ cup of frozen peas for added bursts of flavor.
- Garlic: Here on Essence Eats, we never skimp on garlic. You will need 4 large cloves of minced garlic.
- Rice: My rice of choice for this chicken dish is basmati rice. You will need 1 ½ cups of rice, rinsed.
- Chicken stock: Chicken stock is made from bones whereas chicken broth is made from meat or vegetables. I suggest chicken stock or bone broth for this recipe as it adds the best chicken flavor and intensifies the dish. You will need 3 cups.
- Cream of chicken: Just 1 can of cream of chicken makes this chicken and rice so luscious and thick!
- Seasonings: In addition to salt and pepper to season chicken, you will need 2 teaspoons of sea salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, and ½ teaspoon of paprika for the rice bake.
- Parsley: Fresh parsley gives this recipe extra umph! 2 tablespoons of minced parsley makes this chicken dish so fresh!
variations & substitutions
Use whatever rice is your favorite! My favorite rice for this recipe is basmati rice since it is a long grain rice, it remains fluffy throughout the cooking process. However, you can also use brown rice, wild rice, or white rice.
If you're not a fan of dark meat on chicken thighs, substitute with skinless chicken breasts. Follow the standard instructions until the chicken breast reach an internal temperature of 165F.
For a different flavor profile, try using cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken. This will add a mild but earthy mushroom flavor to the rice casserole.
Add your favorite vegetables! This chicken rice dish lends to your own customization. Don't like peas? Get rid of em! Prefer green beans? Add em! Whatever vegetable you love, simply chop into bite size pieces if not already and add it to the saute step of the dish.
If you don't have fresh garlic on hand, you can substitute with garlic powder. 2 teaspoons of garlic powder can substitute the 4 cloves of garlic.
tips & tricks
Give the chicken thighs a good sear. The sear locks moisture and flavor into the chicken thighs. It also adds chicken flavor to the pan before sautéing the vegetables.
Keep the lid closed on the pan for the full 20 minutes. This step steams the rice and cooks the chicken through. Even if you take a little sneak peek or whiff of the yummy aroma, that steam will escape!
step by step instructions
1. Prepare pan & chicken. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and melt. While butter is melting, generously season your chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and sear on both sides until crisp, about 1-2 minutes. Remove chicken from the pan and place in a bowl.
2. Saute vegetables. Reduce pan to medium heat. Add all of the chopped vegetables in the large nonstick skillet and saute until softened. Then add fresh garlic. Saute until just fragrant. Be sure not to burn the garlic here.
Rice time! Add the rinsed rice and stir. Then add the stock, cream of chicken, seasonings, and fresh parsley. Stir until everything is combined.
Add the chicken & cook. Nestle the chicken thighs in the top of the veggie rice mixture. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low-medium. Cook for 20 minutes until rice is fluffy & tender and chicken is cooked through. Serve warm with extra fresh parsley sprinkled on top.
Serve this old fashioned chicken and rice into bowls and top with extra chopped parsley. To complete the dish, add a garlic bread roll on the side.
storage & reheating
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
The perfect way to reheat this chicken and rice is in the oven. Put the leftovers in a casserole dish or baking dish. Add 1-3 tablespoons of chicken broth depending on your preference. Cover the casserole dish. Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes until warm throughout.
Can you cook raw chicken with rice?
- Yes! Cooking raw chicken and uncooked rice in the same pot is actually very easy. Bringing them both to a low boil will fluff the rice and heat the chicken.
Do I cook rice before adding to casserole?
- No need to cook the rice before adding it. It steams in the pan with the other ingredients while cooking.
Why did my rice not cook in my casserole?
- Releasing the steam from the covered pan can cause the rice to not cook through. Try not to lift the lid while cooking.
how to video
It warms me up to see you make my recipes! Tag me on instagram @essenceeats so I can see your remakes ♡
If you made this recipe, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below. Also, please leave a star rating while you're there ☆