Remember going to the grocery store with your parents as a kid and walking past the deli counter, to be greeted by someone giving you this super fluffy colorful cookie as a sample. It was hardly a sample since it was a whole cookie and put any child in a sugar coma. But nonetheless, every week, I was so excited to go to the grocery store for this cookie! It wasn't just any sugar cookie, it was fluffy like a cloud, and the frosting was light. I couldn't help myself last week. I had to recreate those cookies.
These cookies are in the gray area between a cookie and a cupcake. They are that fluffy! On top of the glorious cake-like cookie is a delectable cream cheese frosting that is even better than the store-bought frosting. Of course, loaded up with sprinkles! You can dye the frosting a different color and use various sprinkles to make these cookies you own! Get creative with it!
Soft Lofthouse Style Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Hand Mixer
- Rolling pin
- Cookie cutter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 eggs
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Using a hand mixer, in a large bowl, cream together sugar, butter, eggs, and milk until well combined.
- Add flour, salt, and baking powder until just combined.
- Liberally flour a work surface and rolling pin.
- Roll out about a quarter of the dough at a time, to ½ inch thick.
- Using about a 3.5 inch cookie cutter, cut cookies and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Cook for 10 minutes until cookies are just done. The bottoms of the cookie should not be browned at all. Set aside to cool.
- While cookies cool, make the frosting. In a medium sized bowl, cream together the softened butter and cream cheese. Then add the remaining frosting ingredients and combine.
- Frost cookies and decorate with sprinkles.