This black garlic bread is intensely flavorful and delicious! It uses black garlic cloves instead of regular garlic for hints of balsamic vinegar flavor. This garlic bread is the perfect appetizer of side dish for a lot of people during any holiday or get together!
This recipe takes classic garlic bread to the next level! Imagine standard garlic bread but with more umami flavor and hints of molasses! It is decadent, so savory, and the most delicious garlic bread you'll ever have.
Perfect for an elegant appetizer or to really wow your guests at a dinner party. Not only does black garlic bread taste amazing but it looks so intriguing with swirls of black all over! Next time you want to elevate your dinner, try this black garlic bread!
Butter: You will need 2 sticks of unsalted butter that is high quality for the black garlic butter. Make sure the butter is room temperature so it can be easily spread on the bread. My favorite butter is Kerrygold.
Black garlic: Black garlic is the star of this garlic bread! Whole garlic bulbs come in 2 different varieties, multi clove garlic & solo clove garlic. Multi clove garlic is like the normal heads of garlic that you are used to. Each clove is separated by skin that must be peeled. Solo clove bulb, the whole bulb is smaller in size but the cloves are bigger. Once you open the head of garlic it is just one round single clove. For this recipe, I when I say cloves, I am referencing solo clove bulbs. These are more commonly found when it comes to purchasing black garlic in local grocery stores. Speaking of where to buy, my favorite black garlic is ordered online. You will need 8 cloves of black garlic.
Parmesan: Fresh parmesan cheese is used to add rich flavour to the garlic butter. Make sure you use a fresh block of parmesan and shred it yourself rather than buying already shredded cheese.
Parsley: Parsley adds freshness to the garlic bread. It gives it that classic herby taste. You will need ¼ cup of firmly packed chopped italian parsley.
Salt & pepper: Just salt and pepper is needed for the black garlic butter.
Baguette: This garlic bread recipe uses a baguette of french bread. However, you can use any loaf of bread that is your favorite.
variations & substitutions
Use whatever loaf of bread is your favorite! I typically use a baguette of french bread but you can also use ciabatta, sprouted bread, or even rolls! The black garlic butter will taste amazing on anything & everything! You can even use the black garlic butter on a raw dough like pizza dough.
Experiment with different herbs! Parsley is used in this garlic bread recipe for that classic garlic bread taste, however try using rosemary, sage, basil, or oregano!
tips & tricks
Make the garlic butter in a food processor. For a super smooth garlic butter, mix it up in a food processor. This will avoid having any unmixed ingredients and create a creamy mixture!
Spread the garlic butter all the way to the bottom of the slit in the bread. Be sure to really work that garlic butter in there. If you don't spread it all the way down, you will be left with a dry bit at the bottom without sweet garlic flavor!
If you're a cheese lover (who isn't), add cheese slices in between each slit of bread. This will make for cheesy garlic bread that is super cheesy when pulled apart! Irresistibly good!
step by step instructions
1. Prepare. Preheat the oven temperature to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Make black garlic butter. In a small bowl, add the black raw garlic cloves and using a fork, mash the garlic until smooth like a paste. Black garlic has a sticky consistency so mash well. Then add the softened butter, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly to combine.
3. Cut the bread. Grab the baguette and place on a cutting board. Cut slits into the bread about ½ inch apart, from one end of the bread to the other. Be sure not to cut all the way through the bread, but still deep enough that the bread is more than half way cut.
4. Slather the bread. Place the cut loaf on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Slather the black garlic butter between each slit. Make sure to reach the bottom of each slit and get all the garlic butter from the sides of the bowl. Repeat until all cuts of bread are covered in garlic butter.
5. Bake. Wrap the baguette in the aluminum foil and place on the lined baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. Serve. Unwrap the bread from the aluminum foil and place on a wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes. Then place on a serving platter. Pull apart & enjoy!
Serve this garlic bread warm on a platter or cutting board with marinara sauce on the side.
storage & reheating
Store individual slices in cling film or in an airtight container. You can also wrap the entire sliced loaf in plastic wrap.
You can reheat the bread by single slice or whole. Wrap it in aluminum foil and bake at a low temperature until warm. This usually take about 10-20 minutes at 350F.
Can you buy black garlic at the grocery store?
- You can buy black garlic at specialty stores or online. It is at World Market and Whole Foods, if one of those is near you. Or you can buy many different brands of black garlic on Amazon.
Is black garlic stronger than regular garlic?
- Black garlic tastes more mild than standard fresh garlic. It has a similar savory flavor but tastes caramelized with more umami flavor. It gains this distinct flavor in the aging process of the garlic.