Once I realized, girl scout cookie stands are hard to find right now... I took matters into my own hands. Samoas cookies made from scratch! Crisp shortbread cookies, topped with homemade caramel, toasted coconut, and drizzled in decadent dark chocolate.
I know this is a touchy subject: the debate on what girl scout cookie is the best. Thin mint lovers, don't come after me, but Samoas are the BEST girl scout cookie! I may be a bit biased because I am a lover of anything coconut. Still, I will stand by Samoas cookies forever.
Crisp shortbread cookies, topped with homemade caramel, toasted coconut, and drizzled in decadent dark chocolate.
- Hand Mixer
- ½ cup butter softened, unsalted
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cup flour plus more for rolling out cookies
- ⅓ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk or water cold
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 teaspoon flaky salt
- 1 ½ cups coconut flakes
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
Prepare the Cookie Dough
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, using a hand mixer beat the butter until fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and mix to form small crumbs. Add milk and vanilla and mix until a dough forms.
- Flatten the dough into a disk and cover it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or freeze for 20 minutes.
Make the Caramel
- While the dough chills, make the caramel. In a medium-sized light color pot, over medium heat, add granulated sugar and water. Stir once, and then avoid stirring for 10-12 minutes while it simmers. The sugar will turn into a deep amber-brown color.
- Once the color of the mixture is deep amber-brown, turn off the heat. While vigorously stirring, slowly add the heavy cream. The mixture will greatly bubble.
- After the bubbling has settled, remove from heat and add in the unsalted butter. Stir until melted.
- Then add in the salt and stir. Set aside.
Make the Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out the cookie dough to about ¼ inch thickness. Use a round cookie cutter to cut out cookies. Then use a smaller cookie cutter to cut out the center of the cookie. Place each cookie on the prepared baking sheet. Place the remaining dough into a ball and repeat the process until no more dough is left.
- Bake cookies for about 10 minutes until the tops are slightly golden. Then place in fridge or freezer to chill.
Prepare the Coconut Mixture
- In a small saucepan, toast the coconut on medium heat for about 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Place in a small bowl with ½ cup of the caramel and mix until combined.
Assemble the Cookies
- In between each assembly step, refrigerate or freeze the cookies for a couple minutes until set.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips for 2 minutes, in 20-second increments, stirring in between. Dip the bottom of the cookie into the chocolate mixture.
- Spread about 2 teaspoons of caramel on the top of each cookie.
- Spread coconut caramel mixture onto each cookie.
- Lastly, drizzle chocolate all over the top of each cookie.
- Store in an airtight container chilled or room temperature for up to a week.
Leave a Reply