A bite of this flavorful curry will make you fall in love. I know I did! Curry has a special place in my heart. The earthy depth of flavor, the sensation of spice, and creamy texture... I honestly can't get enough. This curry is meatless and includes soft chickpeas and sweet potatoes.
Whether you eat this by itself, over rice, or paired with fresh naan. It is amazing! You can play around with the fresh herbs added or even add more spices to your taste. Be prepared for a hearty vegan meal that will satisfy all your cravings!
Chickpea Sweet Potato Curry
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder mild or hot
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper ground
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 cans chickpeas drained
- 1 can coconut milk full fat
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and ginger, cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Then add all the spices, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Add the diced tomatoes and tomato puree. Stir to combine and cook for about 1 minute more.
- Then add the sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and fresh herbs. Cook for about 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
- Serve over rice or with naan. Top with fresh herbs and red onion.