There is nothing better on Christmas Eve than a big mug of creamy hot chocolate! Cold weather, holiday movies, oversized sweaters, and the warmth of hot chocolate! However, this hot chocolate is even better than usual because it is spiked with decadent Baileys Irish Cream and topped with fluffy peppermint marshmallows.
Those packets of instant hot chocolate were always in my home growing up. Other than them hitting the spot when I needed something warm and chocolatey, I had an ongoing battle of trying to dissolve those stubborn lumps of sugary cocoa. Once I discovered how easy homemade hot chocolate is and how much better it tastes, I never went back. Goodbye, nostalgic cocoa packets, and hello, fresh creamy hot chocolate!
Big Batch Spiked Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Marshmallows
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- 1 cup water divided
- 2 packages unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- red food coloring
- powdered sugar for dusting
Big Batch Spiked Hot Chocolate
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 cup Baileys Irish Cream
Prepare the Peppermint Marshmallows:
- Sprinkle the gelatin on ½ cup of cold water in a small bowl. Stir lightly with a fork. Let "bloom" for at least 5 minutes until it is very thick.
- Meanwhile, heat the sugar and remaining ½ cup of water in a medium-sized saucepan until the sugar is dissolved. Then add in the gelatin mixture and mix well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Note that the mixture will get very foamy, and the bubbles will not be stirred down.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let sit until lukewarm.
- Add vanilla, peppermint, and salt and pour into a big bowl or bowl of a stand mixer. Beat with a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, on high speed until tripled in volume, about 8 minutes. If using a hand mixer, whisk at high speed until tripled in volume about 11 minutes.
- While it is beating, prepare a 9x13 pan by lightly greasing and dusting with powdered sugar.
- When the mixture has finishing whipped, pour into the prepared pan. Lightly tap the pan to remove any big bubbles from the marshmallows. Moving quickly, drop red food coloring on the marshmallows' surface and, with a toothpick, swirl it around.
- Allow to set in the fridge for about 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Once set, using a pizza cutter, carefully cut into even squares. Then let air dry for about 2 hours. Store in an airtight container.
Prepare the Spiked Hot Chocolate:
- In a large pot over medium heat, add all of the ingredients except the Baileys and stir. Simmer, often stirring, until all of the chocolate is melted and incorporated, about 15 minutes.
- Once warm, stir in the Baileys.
- Serve warm topped with peppermint marshmallows.