This chili recipe is based on a traditional Mexican chili with jalapeno and crushed tomatoes, but with an added twist of shredded beef instead of ground beef and masa harina corn flour instead of all-purpose. The beef gives the chili more depth of flavor, and absorbs all of the heavily spiced sauce surrounding it. The masa harina gives it a corny and sweet taste. It slow cooks all day until the beef just falls apart.
There is truly nothing better than a hearty bowl of chili on a rainy or winter day. I love to top mine with thick cut sharp shredded cheese, cilantro, fresh jalapeno, and avocado! It is perfect served alongside some jalapeno cheddar buttermilk biscuits. If you're ready for a cozy day with an easily prepared dinner, put your fuzzy socks on and throw this in the slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Chili
- Slow cooker
- 3-4 pounds roughly chopped chuck roast
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 2 large white onions chopped
- 2 cups celery chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 jalapenos chopped with seeds
- ¼ cup chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup masa harina
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 3 bay leaves
- sliced jalapenos
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped cilantro
- sliced avocado
- Dry off the meat with a paper towel and generously sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Brown the meat in batches, ensuring the pieces don't touch. If you overcrowd the pan, the meat with steam and not sear. Sear the meat for 1-2 minutes until deeply browned and then flip over and sear the other side. Remove the beef to a large slow cooker each batch at a time, until all meat has been seared.
- Reduce the heat to low medium and add 1 more tablespoon of oil. Add the celery and onion and saute for about 5 minutes, until they soften. They should be brown, picking up all of the beef flavor!
- Add the 6 cloves of minced garlic and chopped jalapeno. Add the chili powder, cayenne, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and brown sugar. Stir all together and let the spices toast into the vegetables for 1 minute.
- Add the beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pan. Slowly pour in the masa harina, stirring constantly, breaking up any clumps. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, and bay leaves to the slow cooker and stir all together.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8-10 hours. Once it's done cooking, break up the chunks of meat with a fork or wooden spoon. Serve with fresh jalapeno, cheddar cheese, avocado, and cilantro.