This pecan pie old fashioned is a seasonal twist on a classic whiskey cocktail. The showstopper in this drink is the toasted pecan infused bourbon. After the pecans are lightly roasted, they soak in the bourbon for a couple of days to give it a nutty forestry flavor. The bourbon is paired with chocolate bitters and brown sugar simple syrup to create an old fashioned cocktail resembling pecan pie's decadent taste!
I started getting into bourbon a couple of years ago when I was staying in Oklahoma City. I would walk to this neighborhood bar and have the bartender help me pick out a cocktail. He would show me all the different bourbons he infuses. From nuts to fruits, he would experiment with the flavor of bourbon by infusing them. Infusing bourbon brings out different flavors from the profile and can really elevate a classic cocktail. Consider this first of many infusion cocktail recipes to come!
Pecan Pie Old Fashioned
- Cocktail Shaker
Toasted Pecan Infused Bourbon
- ½ cup pecans toasted
- 1 ½ cups bourbon stay away from mixing bourbons, pick a sipping bourbon
Brown Sugar Simple Syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
Pecan Pie Old Fashioned
- 2 ounces toasted pecan infused bourbon
- 3 dashes chocolate bitters
- .4 ounce brown sugar simple syrup
- cinnamon stick for topping
Make the Toasted Pecan Infused Bourbon:
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place the pecans on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven for about 5 minutes until aromatic.
- Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, transfer the pecans to a mason jar and pour the bourbon on top.
- Seal the jar and let infuse for 3-4 days. Do not infuse for any longer than 4 days.
Make the Brown Sugar Simple Syrup:
- In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, bring the brown sugar and water to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes until sugar is completely dissolved and the liquid has reduced.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a mason jar. Store in the fridge to cool before using.
Make the Pecan Pie Old Fashioned:
- In a cocktail shaker, add 3 dashes of chocolate bitters, half of the small side of the jigger (about .4 ounce) of brown sugar simple syrup, and 2 ounces of the infused bourbon. Add ice and vigorously shake.
- Place a large ice cube in a glass and strain in the cocktail.
- Top with a cinnamon stick.