Oh so flaky, buttermilk biscuits with spicy jalapeño and extra sharp cheddar cheese! My mouth is literally watering. These biscuits have quickly become one of my favorites. Whether you dip them in chili, use them for pulled pork sandwiches, or even biscuits and gravy ... they take every dish over the top!
I don't know about you all, but I am here for the spicy! I was not always this way. I am not kidding when I say no level of anything spicy would be allowed on my plate. Mild was the only salsa and buffalo wings I would eat. And now I practically keep a bottle of hot sauce in my back pocket, ready to spice up anything and everything! These biscuits are a spicy girl's dream.
Jalapeño Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits
- Cookie cutter
- Rolling pin
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks unsalted butter frozen
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 3 jalapeños seeded and diced
- ½ cup white cheddar cheese grated
- ¾ cup extra sharp yellow cheddar cheese grated
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted, for topping
- Ensure your butter is frozen or put in the freezer to freeze for at least an hour. Preheat the oven to 450F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a cheese grater, grate frozen butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles large crumbs. Stir in buttermilk, jalapeños, and cheddar cheese until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured work surface, knead the dough a couple times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a 1 ½ inch thick rectangle. Using a 2 ½ inch cookie cutter, cut out the biscuits. Place biscuits on the lined sheet pan and freeze for about 10 minutes.
- Remove biscuits from the freezer and brush tops with melted butter. Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese and bake for about 17 minutes or until golden brown.