This barbeque chicken flatbread is just drool-worthy, it’s delicious! On top of a crisp light flatbread crust is your favorite barbeque sauce, a blend of mozzarella cheese and smoked gouda, juicy chunks of chicken, earthy mushrooms, bold red onions, and fresh arugula. These flavors scream summertime!
Something about barbecue sauce instead of red sauce on a pizza or flatbread is just spectacular! You can pick a mild barbecue, spicy barbecue, or even honey barbecue! I went for a roasted garlic barbecue and it was perfect.
As I have mentioned several times, growing up my first job was Barros pizza. They had a daily slice of pizza that rotated. Every Wednesday was barbecue chicken. I would go in and the whole restaurant would smell like barbecue sauce. Before trying it, I definitely knocked it. I was skeptical if barbecue sauce went with pizza. Well, the answer is a big fat YES!
The smoked gouda on this flatbread really enhances that sweet barbecue flavor. I love adding extra arugula and fresh dill on top to brighten it up.
Gouda Barbecue Chicken Flatbread
- 1 ⅓ cups water lukewarm
- 1 cup whole milk lukewarm
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jar your favorite barbecue sauce I use Kinders Roasted Garlic Barbecue
- 2 cups freshly shredded gouda cheese
- 1 cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and diced into 1 inch chunks
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup baby bella or shitake mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh argula
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
Make the Flatbread
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, combine lukewarm milk, water, oil, yeast, and sugar. Lightly mix and then let stand for a few minutes. There will be a foam on top when the yeast is activated.
- Once activated, add salt and lightly mix.
- Add in the flour. Using the dough hook on the stand mixer or your hands, knead until combined and the dough comes together as a ball. After a ball has formed, knead for about 5 more minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Then place the dough in an oiled bowl covered with plastic wrap or a hand towel. Set in a warm place to rise for about 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, divide in 2 equal portions. For each portion, roll out on a lightly floured surface to a large rectangle until about ¼ inch thick.
Prepare the Flatbread
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and non-stick spray.
- Place the rolled-out dough onto the lined baking sheet. Brush the entire top of the dough in olive oil.
- Brush barbeque sauce on top of the oiled dough, leaving about ½ inch along the perimeter as the crust. On top of the barbecue sauce, place the gouda and mozzarella cheese. Then evenly place the diced chicken, followed by mushrooms, and lastly thinly sliced red onion.
- Brush the crust in butter and then sprinkle oregano.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and crisp. Repeat the preperation on the other half of dough.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Top with fresh dill and arugula.