Let’s talk beignets! The New Orleans version of a donut! Warm deep-fried pastry coated in sweet light powdered sugar.
There is nothing like fresh beignets from Cafe Du Monde or Cafe Beignet! These beignets are everything you would dream of. They are fried and fluffy like the classic beignet. Still, instead of plain powdered sugar, they are drenched in strawberry powdered sugar. Not only do they taste incredible, but the pale pink color is just adorable.
So let me just give you a detailed take on what it’s like to bite into a fresh beignet. It comes out of the warm oil, and it golden brown and puffed up. It still has a remanence of hot oil which is then coated in light powdered sugar. Not dusted, coated! It is then placed on a plate with even more powdered sugar. The bite is warm, cozy, sweet, and fresh! Okay, now I am going to go finish devouring this beignet, bye!
Fresh Beignets with Strawberry Powdered Sugar
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- 1 ½ cups lukewarm water
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7 cups bread flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 cups frying oil
Strawberry Powdered Sugar
- 2 cups freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Combine yeast, sugar, and lukewarm water in a medium bowl. Ensure the water is not too hot! It should not hurt to touch; just be mildly warm. If the water is too hot, it will kill the yeast, and your dough will not rise. Let the yeast proof for about 5 minutes until the mixture is foamy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl using a hand mixer, on low speed, beat the eggs. Add the vanilla and evaporated milk. Then add 3 ½ cups of the flour. Carefully add the yeast. Beat until smooth.
- Add in the butter and beat again. Lastly, add the remaining 3 ½ cups of flour.
- Knead for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and cohesive. Tightly cover the bowl in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Line a large baking sheet with paper towels.
- In a large pot, heat oil to 360F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to about ⅓ inch thick rectangle. Cut into 2-inch squares.
- In batches, fry the dough for about 2 minutes until golden brown and puffy. Using a slotted spoon, remove the beignets from the oil and place them on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with all the dough.
- In a food processor, combine the freeze-dried strawberries and powdered sugar and pulse until smooth.
- Serve immediately warm dusted with plenty of powdered sugar!
Leave a Reply