These crispy coconut shrimp will transport you to a Caribbean oasis in your own home! They are coated in aromatic coconut flakes and panko for a crispy exterior. Still, the shrimp are perfectly cooked on the inside. They are paired with a light and creamy avocado crema that balances out the texture and flavors.
I have always loved shrimp. When I was just a toddler, my mom would take me with her grocery shopping, and the first stop would be the meat counter. She would get me a handful of those tiny salad shrimps to snack on while she shopped. A couple years later, I discovered popcorn shrimp at restaurants and Long John Silvers. After that, I would never order anything else! Now, fast forward to today, I am still utterly obsessed with shrimp in all its forms. I love salad shrimp and popcorn shrimp, but also shrimp cocktail and fresh crispy coconut shrimp!
Crispy Coconut Shrimp with Avocado Crema
- Blender or Food Processor
Creamy Avocado Crema
- 2 avocados peeled and pitted
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 2 limes juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Crispy Coconut Shrimp
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut sweetened
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 pound large raw shrimp peeled, deveined, with tails attached
- Vegetable oil for frying, if doing shallow fry cooking method
- Non-stick cooking spray if doing air-fryer cooking method
- First, prepare the avocado crema. In a blender or food processor, combine avocado, lime juice, salt, pepper, and greek yogurt. Set in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. In another bowl, combine Panko and coconut. In another bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Dip the shrimp into the flour, then the eggs, and then the coconut panko mixture. Gently press the coconut flakes onto the shrimp, so they are well coated. Repeat all shrimp, setting them on a plate when finished coating.
- These shrimp can be shallow fried or fried in the air fryer. For the shallow fry method, in a large skillet over medium heat, add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Add the shrimp about 7 at a time, ensuring the pan isn’t overcrowded. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. Place on a paper towel-lined plate. For the air fryer method, place about 7 shrimp in the air fryer basket, ensuring it isn’t overcrowded. Lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray. Cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Serve warm alongside the avocado crema.